Future Energy Partners can help your company develop its organisational capability for emissions. If you are interested in discussing further with us, please let us know here.
Let's imagine that the future is like this. Quality data about emissions is shared within our organisations as much as we share financial data. The reliability of the emissions data is as good as financial data. We have a good idea about the emissions for all our operations, all our purchases, and any investment or operational decision we might make. We are comfortable signing financial agreements which include clauses related to emissions.
We are ready to take on new projects which offer to reduce emissions. We can set emission reduction targets and understand our emissions well enough to achieve them. We can easily share our emissions data with anyone who asks for it and we want to share it with - including banks, customers, regulators and investors. We can work with 'upstream' (supplier) and 'downstream (customer) emissions related to our company's products, as well as our operational emissions.
This does not need too much imagining because most of this is already here, but we can expect a lot more of it.
But company capability for working with emissions like this is not yet here. We are getting by with our requirements with a lot of estimated data, otherwise known as assumptions, 'proxy data' or 'reference data'. But this needs to be gradually replaced by actual numbers - just as our financial planning may begin with estimates, but the estimates need to be replaced by calculated costs.
So, you need an emissions capability. Skills is a part of it, but not all of it. What other elements might be part of an organisational emission capability?
- can you make a realistic strategic assessment of where your biggest emissions are, and what data you might be able to collect, or where you may be able to encourage others to provide you with emissions data
- do you have the digital systems to gather data, and model emissions so you have situation awareness of what is going on, and you can share this with other stakeholders
- can you use this situation awareness to let emissions inform all of your operational decisions
- do you have employees with the skills to work with emissions data
- are you able to take appropriate measurements where necessary, such as of methane emissions - can you demonstrate to others that you are gathering sufficient 'bottom up' (measured) data
- can you get data about emissions from most of your suppliers
- can you provide data about emissions to your customers, and understand customer emissions from use of these products
Future Energy Partners can help your company develop its organisational capability for emissions. If you are interested in discussing further with us, please let us know here
Future Energy Partners can help you work out a business case for investing in carbon capture or CO2 storage.
For further advice on how a developing country could benefit from Future Energy Partners' approach, and to discuss working with us, please let us know.